My Final Piece for Field

As I said in a previous blog post, I decided to do another wall hanging, similar to the small one I had already made. However it needed to be more organised and finished better.

Here is a photo of my finished piece:

I am pleased with the outcome of my piece, as the beach part is definitely more planned than on my last piece. However, the vertical lines where the seams are makes it disjointed. This is because I only had small pieces of fabric to work with so this was the only way I could make them the size I wanted; in hindsight I should have been more organised to buy some fabric that was more suited to what I was making. Additionally, the bottom half still needs more planning, as it still looks quite random. But a beach is not perfectly arranged so it shouldn’t be too neat. I also think that I shouldn’t have used quite so many colours when sewing the french knots.

The top half of the hanging is quite similar to the one on my other smaller piece, the only major difference being that I used two different denim types for the final piece. I prefer the piece where there is only one denim, as the denim waves are more subtle on it. I should have experimented by creating samples of this before I started making the final piece. I really like all the other aspects of the ‘Sea’ part of the wall hanging, especially the three-way cording. It adds a splash of colour to the otherwise quite neutral colour palette. One other thing I would do using a different technique would be the white in the middle (the tide) where the two parts of the hanging join, because it was quite difficult to complete. I started off with the white cord on the bobbin, but the machine kept jamming because it was a fluffy cord and I was trying to sew along the seam. I ended up hand sewing it, which made it less fluffy.

If I were to make the wall hanging again, I would definitely plan it out more carefully and make more samples ahead of producing the final piece, because it gives me a chance to decide what works best. I also now think that it may look better as two separate wall hangings which would hang next to each other, this is because the colours of the two halves are quite different and it looks quite abrupt where they come together.

 Below are close-ups of the two parts of my hanging.

I enjoyed using lots of different stitch techniques on this half, to create wave shapes.

Processed with VSCOcam with m3 preset

Using this glittery thread on the bobbin was my favourite part of making this half.

 

Advertisements

Foils, Flock and Puff

After screen printing with normal pigment, I learnt how to use foils, flock and puff binder. All three include heat at some point in the process, the foils and flock using the heat press and the puff using steam from an iron.

Copper Foil

 Foil is my favourite of these three techniques, because it is so simple yet it creates such a beautiful effect. I think choosing the copper foil was perfect for my design, as crabs have quite a coppery hue. Also, I think the foil works well with simple, thin lines.

Blue Flock

  This didn’t work so well, compared to the foil but it was useful to learn the technique. I think it would work better with thicker lines, because in places the flock is very thin and sparse. It could however just need more time in the heat press. I think it also looks a bit strange because of the colour, if I had the chance to flock this design again then I would try another colour, or possibly multiple colours.

Orange Puff Binder

 The puff binder is fascinating, watching how it rises with the steam is so intriguing. On some of my puff samples, I mixed two colours across the screen when I printed it, which gave a beautiful finish to the prints, as they were not just one solid block of colour.