For my research, I looked at 5 companies from each area of the textiles/surface pattern industry; Paper, Interiors and Fashion. I found quite a few new companies through this (new to me!)
- Paperchase – a high street stationery shop founded in 1968, with 200 stores worldwide (130 in the UK).
- Ohh Deer – an online stationery and giftware store founded in 2011, work with 35 artists across the world.
- Flying Tiger Copenhagen – a high street stationery/giftware shop founded in 1995, with 650 stores worldwide (originated in Copenhagen as Zebra).
- Busy B – a stationery company founded in 1997, focuses on organisation products. Stocked by John Lewis, Lakeland and Hobbycraft.
- Rifle Paper Co. – a stationery company founded in 2009 (Based in Florida, USA) who have collaborated with the likes of LeSportsac, Puffin Books and Tattly.
- Anthropologie – a high end high street interiors and fashion shop founded in 1992 (Pennsylvania USA), with over 200 stores in the USA, Canada and the UK. Under the URBN umbrella, which includes Urban Outfitters.
- Timorous Beasties – a high end interiors company, producing wallpapers and textile products such as cushions, founded in 1990.
- Laura Slater – a UK designer who uses hand printed processes to make interior items such as cushions and lampshades. Graduated from Royal College of Art in 2007.
- Scion – a middle of the range interiors company, founded in 2012 as part of the Harlequin group. Makes items for interiors, wallpapers and fabrics.
- Imogen Heath – a UK designer who creates surface patterns for residential and commercial interiors. Produced either by hand or in British mills.
- Urban Outfitters – a high street apparel store first opened in 1970, with 238 stores.
- Needle & Thread – a high end brand launched in 2013, designs highly embellished garments, including bridal wear.
- Topshop – a high street clothing store launched in 1964, part of the Arcadia group. Over 500 stores worldwide. Collaborate with celebrities, the most recent being Beyoncé’s Ivy Park collection.
- Calvin Klein – a designer brand founded in 1968, which was originally a coat shop. By 1971, sportswear, blazers and lingerie had been added to Women’s and in 1980-85, Men’s underwear was introduced. Owned by PVH.
- Nike – a sportswear brand founded in 1964, originally named Blue Ribbon Sports. Most well known for their trainers. Owns Hurley and Converse.