A Reflection on Term One of Second Year – Making Connections

At the start of the term, I was adamant that I would never design for children, especially boys. This was because at this point in my life, I am not particularly fond of them – unless they’re really cute! So now that my project has a target market of boys nothing could be further from my thoughts in September. What lead me to decide on the client was my research, after of course looking at the three market areas of fashion, interiors and paper. I went with interiors because it is the area that seemed most natural to me, as well as the fact that out of the companies I researched, I was most drawn to more interior companies than paper or fashion. However I would heavily consider designing for paper and possibly fashion in the future. I chose Scion as my hypothetical company because I didn’t know a lot about them, but I had seen their products previously in John Lewis (it wasn’t until this project that I realised they were made by Scion). Also, out of the companies I researched in the interior area of the market, Scion stood out to me most, because of the bold shapes and colours they use in their designs. The reason I chose to design for children has two sides: a) Scion have only recently started producing children’s interior products, which gave me a wider choice of where to go with the brief (within reason, sticking to their style of design of course) and b) I really liked how they use colour, in both their children and adult ranges, but in the children’s they cleverly use quite bright colours that are muted, making the designs have a classier edge to what you might find in Tesco. The reason I chose boys was simple: I’m bored of pinks and florals, and want to explore into more exciting themes!

After a short break to start our field modules, we came back into textiles to develop further from our research, learning various things, including new mark making techniques. Experimenting with these has helped me with how I think I will develop next term, as I now know which techniques suit my theme and client the best, and there are various ways I can design for my brief. As well as this, I have learnt new skills in stitch and print. In stitch we had digital stitch workshops, a skill which is useful to have. I’m not sure if it will be relevant to my brief, but it may be to future briefs. In print, I experimented with screen and lino printing. Both were successful, but I need to refine the images I am using because now when I look at my screen prints, they don’t seem to fit my brief as much as they did before. I also need to stick to my chosen colours! In the future, I am going to explore more printing methods including potato printing (which I will try out over the Christmas break), as I need to find a method that gives a slight texture to the print, similar to what features on Scion’s products.

I am looking forward to next term, as I want to learn even more new skills and explore further into my theme. I can’t wait to start designing!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s