Lion Calligram

lion calligram

I was inspired to create this piece by a book I found in the library, ‘Alphabets: A Miscellany of Letters’ Introduction by David Sacks. I looked through this book and found it quite interesting how many different ways letters are used in everyday life, whether for artistic purposes or writing. I like how images can be created using letters and words, so I decided to make my own. I chose to create an image of a lion because they intrigue me, they are such majestic creatures. The words I used in the image all have something to do with lions, apart from a few small details that weren’t big enough to fit entire words. I am really pleased with the outcome, and I love how clear the waves in the mane are.

Continue reading Lion Calligram

Cardiff Cultural Journey – Cardiff Market


My first drawings are from photos I took in The Closed Market, and I have focused in on a sweet stall. This was the stall that I was most drawn to when it caught my eye because of the bright variety of colours that it was displaying. I always like using a wide range of colours in my work, and I think this is why the sweet stall was my favourite in the market. The market as a whole had an old-fashioned feel to it, but in a positive way, and I think this is true of most markets wherever they are. It is a lovely feeling to walk into a place and not be met with all the bright lights and ‘perfection’ of the modern world. It may be a little inconvenient when you can’t find a price tag on an item but it means that you actually have to interact with another human being, which is not a bad thing in an era where almost everything is done electronically or automatically. I loved the way the sweet stall was set up, with each different type of sweet sat loose in a box, so customers can decide how much they want, rather than having to pick up a predetermined packet. I also really like the little yellow signs in each box, describing the sweets and their prices per 100g. I love how they are stamped rather than typed out on a computer. It gives it a unique and random feel, especially on the signs where a smaller stamp had to be used on the last half of the word to fit it on. I would really like to go back to the market soon, because I feel that I didn’t spend enough time there originally.

Cardiff Cultural Journey – Cardiff Bay

Cardiff Bay

Pierhead Building

The second place on my cultural journey is Cardiff Bay, and the day we went was the most beautiful weather, which emphasised the beauty of it. I had never been to the bay before and was really looking forward to going, as I had heard lots of good things about it. It took a while to get there from my halls, but it was worth the journey. Before we got to the seafront, I was a little disappointed because all I could see was restaurants but I soon understood why they were there. The building that really stood out to me was the Pierhead building, built with a bright orange brick which contrasted beautifully to the bright blue sky behind it. The detail in the architecture is incredible, and I can’t even begin to imagine how much time and effort was put into designing and building this magnificent structure. I find it particularly interesting that none of the buildings in the bay are similar at all, normally buildings in one area are quite similar because they were built around the same time. However this is not the case in Cardiff Bay, which gives it a uniqueness. Each building is a completely different colour and made from different materials, the Pierhead is brick, the Norwegian Church is timber and the Millennium Centre is striking with it’s copper oxide coated steel cladding. I would really like to spend time finding out more about the history of the bay and the buildings in it.

Cardiff Cultural Journey – Architecture


The third part of my cultural journey is not a place as such, it is the windows on some of the buildings in town. You have to keep an eye out for them, but as soon as you spot them they are beautifully intricate and detailed. The architecture that accompanies the windows on these buildings is also very detailed, much like that on the Pierhead building in the bay. It makes me want to find every single building like this in Cardiff, because I know each one will be individual and beautiful to draw and create patterns from. I have already done that with a single detail from a house near the National Museum, turning a shape very similar to a flower above the windows into a childish pattern that would possibly be used on children’s clothing or stationery.